My name is Walter Palmer and I am writing to you on behalf of The W.D. Palmer Foundation and members of the University of Pennsylvania Medical/Healthcare providers.
We are collectively taking the leadership to enlist other medical/healthcare providers across America, to help us gather hundreds of signatures from all citizens across the country, as well as supporters around the world.
For over 400 years, African Americans have endured substantial physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual disparities at a higher rate than other populations in our society.
These disparities include, but are not limited to, the following: higher rates of morbidity, mortality, obesity, heart disease, cancers, high blood pressure, HIV, AIDS, illiteracy, unemployment, poverty, homelessness, crime, violence, incarceration, alcohol and drug abuse, suicide, COVID-19, and more.
These inequalities have existed for so long and created major health consequences within the Black community, and have also had a negative impact on the larger society.
Therefore, many medical/healthcare providers, along with citizens, across the country have come to the conclusion that racism in America is a public health crisis.
Our goal is to launch this national petition campaign from January 2021 until December 2021, after which time we will assess our support for petitioning the President, Senate, and United States Congress, to recognize and designate racism in America as a public health crisis.
In addition, we will appeal to the Congress to create and structure a national, long term dialogue on racism in America, to begin the process of racial healing within our nation.
We would appreciate having your support on this matter in the following ways:
- Sign the petition (http://chng.it/fJx8Hc67cK) and write a short message of support.
- Help identify volunteers around the country for this campaign (https://tinyurl.com/PalmerVolunteerSignUp)
- Like and share this petition on your social media platforms.
- Please view the University of Pennsylvania Medical Grand Rounds Presentation (https://tinyurl.com/MedicalRounds).
W.D. Palmer JD. FPPC.
Volunteer Sign Up Form
- Fill out the volunteer sign up form, and indicate what states and field(s) of institution(s) you will be reaching out to
- Make a list of the institutions/groups you will reach out to (for example: all medical schools in your target state) and fill in their names and identify primary contacts at this link: https://tinyurl.com/PalmerOutreachDatabase (tip: primary contacts can be found through organization websites)
- Send the letter to these institutions!
- Update the spreadsheet with the date you reached out, the date you heard back, and whether the institute will help support our cause
- Make sure to check that the institutes you want to contact have not already been contacted by another volunteer!
- Focus outreach to decision makers in these institutes (i.e. directors, CEOs, presidents, superintendents, managers, administrators, supervisors, etc.)
- Regional Volunteer Coordinators will eventually be selected from those have demonstrated commitment through volunteer services.